Friday, July 29, 2011

my treasure

Some things never change.
I spent time with my grandparents tonight and it was if I was 10 years old again. I got a kiss at the door, a home cooked meal, homemade dessert, a chance to beat them at Mexican Train (a type of Dominos), new things for my apartment, and the best of all, their love. I treasure very few things in this world, but my grandparents are definitely one of my greatest treasures.

Although some things never change, our perspective does.
When I was young I went to my grandparents because my parents were going. Don't get me wrong, I've always loved spending time with my grandparents, but I never really put much thought into being there. Now that I am older and can drive myself places, it is important to me to spend time with my grandparents. I know that I am blessed to have such a close relationship with them. On my drive home I thought about how great my grandparents really are.

For starters, they have been married for over 50 years. Today, divorce is a common as sneezing, it's sickening. My grandparents are a great example of true commitment and love. While we were playing dominos they always would help the other out and call each other "honey". I could be grossed out by this because they are 80 years old, but then I think about it and I think the exact opposite. I hope and pray that when I'm 80 years old I still call my husband honey and babe. It only makes sense that you would grow closer to your spouse with time. I believe that anniversaries are something to celebrate. My grandparents have been a great example of a healthy, loving relationship.

My grandpa is one of the sweetest men that I know. His heart is enormous and his love for people is shown by the way he lives. I don't think I have ever met a more humble man. He sees the good in everyone and only talks highly of people. In my 20 years of life, I don't believe I've ever heard him say anything negative. He is filled with stories and knowledge. My grandpa is a honorable man.

My grandma is probably the loudest, funniest, smartest woman I know. There is never a time I am with her that I don't have a smile on my face. Her family means the world to her and she does everything she can to help others. She is the best cook that I know and I am lucky enough to know her secret recipes. Recently, she is learning how to use the Internet and she was super excited to learn how to add contacts to her email address.

My grandparents are very near and dear to my heart. I hope that I have many more moments and many more memories with them. They have been great role models in my life and I couldn't ask for greater grandparents.

1 comment:

  1. That was so nice and written so well.
    Now say something nice and true about your favorite Aunt. :)
    As I have said before, you write with your heart and you do it so well.
    Love Aunt Julie

    ReplyDelete