Monday, May 1, 2017

Day by Day

Today, as I was scrolling though Facebook, I realized that May is National Foster Care Awareness month. I've thought about writing a blog post several times, but haven't actually made the time to sit down and type out all my thoughts. Reading through the different foster care pages I follow, I decided that this month is a great time to share. 

I've posted a few thought on Facebook, but I don't even know if what I've experienced over the past month can even been put into adequate words.

First, I'm amazed at how quickly we've been able to make a connection with little miss. She has adjusted so well to us and really seems to be enjoying herself. She has let her sassy personality shine. She loves to make jokes, cuddle, and just spend quality time together.  She's confident, super intelligent, and isn't afraid to call us out. Just today at dinner she said, "You two just talk and talk and talk." In the moments you want to be mad, you know she's right. I thank God for blessing Chris and me with such a sweet little girl. She has turned our life upside down, but man, is she worth it. 

Things have really started to get into a routine for us. Somedays, I forget all the sticky circumstances we live under. I forget that she's five and has a thousand thoughts in her mind about what the rest of her life holds. When she opens up to us and shares the things she experienced in her life, it takes everything in me to not just cry with her. I remain strong and encourage her and then go to my room and have a moment. 

Life just isn't fair. There is so much hurt and brokenness. I look into her sweet eyes everyday and am just amazed at the little girl that she is. I'm thankful to her family for nurturing her and caring for her. I'm thankful that they realized they couldn't provide the adequate care that she needed and decided to seek outside help. On the days when it kills me that she doesn't get to see her family or talk to her family, I'm reminded that right now, this is what's best for her. I've learned in the past month that it doesn't take long to become a momma bear. Chris and I have learned that we are her biggest advocates and that if we don't speak up for her, who will? We've been "those people" the last month with teachers, doctors, CPS workers, you name it. I'm totally fine to be thought of as annoying and persistent if it means that little miss gets what she needs. 

Foster care is a broken system, no doubt about it, but it is one of the most beautiful and transformational things I've ever experienced. 

((I plan to write several other posts this month, ranging in all things foster care. If you've ever had thoughts or interests in fostering, please read my next posts. I hope it will encourage you and push you along on your journey. There is such a need for foster families. There is such a need for people to be a voice for the kids who unfortunately don't get one.))

No comments:

Post a Comment