Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Blessing of Family...

The dictionary definition of family is "a group consisting of parents and children living together in a household." If you were an education major, you would have taken a whole class on how family dynamics have changed over the years. I believe a better definition for family is a group of people who love one another and take care of each others needs. A family is supporting, encouraging, and above all, a place to feel safe. According to my definition, a family may not necessarily be parents and their children. It could be friends, other relatives, or even church members.

I learned this most recently when I went away to school. I was far away from my family, but I soon met others who would join my family. It's almost funny how some of my friends and mentors seemed more like family than some of my own relatives. I formed deep, real, raw relationship with people who to this day mean the world to me. They have poured into me and have helped shape me into the person who I am today and I can not thank them enough. They will always be family to me.

I write this today because lately I have felt overwhelmingly blessed by my family. My family from school, which I am still in contact with, but also my family at home. I'm not only blessed to have my entire family (extended) in St. Louis, but also Chris' parents. I am very thankful for the healthy relationship we are able to have with both of our families. I cannot describe to you how supportive and encouraging our families have been - throughout our whole lives, but especially in this new season for Chris and I. I gained a great deal of respect for both my parents and Chris' during the wedding planning. We had heard many horror stories about families fighting and disagreeing about wedding plans. Both of our parents were there to help and assist but they allowed us to make all of our own decisions without judgement. That may seem small, but it is a HUGE blessing. Planning a wedding is stressful enough, but having the pressure of pleasing other people while doing it is just not needed.

Our families are not only supportive in the big things, but the small things as well. They are constantly checking in on us, praying for us, and inviting us over. We had a church event last night and my cousin brought his kids out for it - which was awesome! Chris is getting ordained this Sunday and both of our families are coming and then going to dinner to celebrate. Both of our families helped us move in to our new apartment and did everything they could to help! These are just a few examples.

I don't write all of this to brag about our families. I have just come to realize what a HUGE blessing it is to have two families who are so encouraging and supportive that I had to share. It is a very rare treasure and I thank God for giving us the families that He did.


No comments:

Post a Comment